Sunday, September 12, 2010

Why education?

As I reflect back on my childhood, I can remember sitting in front my easel chalkboard, teaching teddy bears and Barbie dolls how to add, subtract, and read. As I got older, I was able to begin working with kids in many situations, such as teaching swim lessons, tutoring, babysitting, and eventually becoming a preschool teacher. All of these experiences increased my desire to become a teacher, a dream that is finally beginning to feel like reality.


A few months ago, I saw the movie Remember Me, which is about a boy who falls in love with a girl, who helps him deal with his family issues and relationships. Now, I know your thinking, "what does this have to do with education?" Well, by the end of the movie, while most people were crying their eyes out, I was thinking about a quote from the movie that really inspired me. This quote, which says "Our fingerprints never fade from the lives we touch", perfectly describes why I want to be a teacher, and my past experiences in education. Several of my teachers in elementary school have left a lasting impression in my life. Not only did they teach me several important life lessons, but they played a large role in my future academic successes. In addition, they treated everyone with kindness and respect, which is critical to a positive classroom community. Like many of my teachers, I hope to leave lasting fingerprints on my students lives. I hope to help them grow, discover new possibilities, develop in their academics, and feel comfortable in the classroom environment. When I think about it, all of these things have motivated me to continue my journey in becoming a teacher.

2 comments:

  1. I still remember teachers who left their fingerprints on my life....My 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Cohen, used to inspire us by giving us exciting projects to complete. She was always patient and supportive, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly how I feel! I love the finger print analogy. It makes me even more scared when thinking about the impressions I will be leaving on people's lives. This thought helps to keep me aware of myself and my actions throughout the day.

    The fact that you had these thoughts speaks volumes about you as a teacher. Your cautious and thoughtful personality will help guide you through being the teacher you stated you hope to be. You're going to be great giiiirl :)

    ReplyDelete