Friday, October 8, 2010

Revisiting Childhood Through A Digital Story

Over the past few weeks I have been in the process of creating my own digital story, which is essentially a movie made from pictures, audio, and voiceovers. This experience has taken me on a ride down memory lane as I search through childhood pictures that resurface cherished memories and unforgettable moments from the past. This project has enabled me to incorporate an important aspect of my life, my relationship with my older sister, into my academic work and explore technology with my own interests in mind. In addition, working on the story helps me to calm down and de-stress after crazy days spent in class, completing homework assignments, and being in a never-ending realm of energy and animal crackers: the kindergarten classroom. 



As I put the pieces of my childhood back together, I realize that I have lost sight of what’s important in life: family, relationships, and living for the moment. It has also helped me to understand how important it is, as a teacher, to provide students with the opportunity to incorporate their values, interests, and ideas into their learning in new and exciting ways. My advice to anyone reading this blog, whether you are a teacher, student, or just have nothing else to do, TAKE ADVANTAGE of this wonderful tool. Create a story. A project. A poem. A biography. Share, appreciate, and proudly display your own interests and ideas. Give your students the opportunity to learn in different ways and display their learning in a way that supports their needs and interests. 

2 comments:

  1. I thought that the photo story was a great way to watch and learn about other peoples lives. I am looking forward to seeing yours about you and your sister and must agree that it is fun to look back down memory lane. I put together a photo story last christmas for some friends and family and it was a fun way to watch the past and remember all the good times that we had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren--I TOTALLY AGREE. I found myself spending a ton of time on this--not because it was a difficult assignment, but because I enjoyed looking through all the old pictures that I had put away. It was such a great trip down memory lane and brought back so so many memories. I have also enjoyed (as Sarah mentioned above) getting to know more about people through this--looking forward to watching yours on Friday :)

    ReplyDelete